Can I register at more than one school and choose later?
The information system used to register all students does not accept students in more than one school. If students attempt to register in more than one school, the system will default back to their catchment school.
When does registration begin?
Registration opens at 12 pm (noon) on Tuesday, February 4, 2020. All Grade 8 registrations are done through the Parent Portal at https://parents.sd42.ca. Each registration is time-stamped at the moment the registration form is opened to begin the online registration process.
Deadline for Grade 8 online registration is 12 pm (noon) on February 19, 2020. If you do not register your child by the online registration deadline, you will need to complete a paper registration form at your child’s catchment high school.
I'm new to School District No. 42 - How do I register?
February Registration for the Next School Year:
Parents of Grade 7 students currently NOT registered in the Maple Ridge – Pitt Meadows school district must obtain Grade 8 registration forms from the District Education Office at 22225 Brown Avenue, Maple Ridge. Registration forms will be available starting February 4, 2020 at 12:00 pm (noon).
You will need the following documents to complete the application process:
- Proof of residency (2 documents)
- Student’s birth certificate or passport
Registration deadline is 12:00 pm (noon), February 19, 2020. Parents will be notified by email before Spring Break about their child’s assigned school.
I don't have access to a computer, how do I register?
Families who do not have access to a computer at home can request access at their elementary school or from the District Education Office.
What if I don't live in the catchment?
Online Registration Process:
The registration form will automatically populate with your child’s secondary catchment school based on the residential address on file with your child’s elementary school.
Parents have the option to request a cross boundary school but there are no guarantees. You can also find your child’s secondary catchment school using the school locator tool at http://www.sd42.ca/school-locator/. New development areas may not show accurate results. Please confirm with your child’s elementary school if necessary.
If the address you register on the portal does not match what is on file, proof of change of address will be required. Rental agreements are not accepted as proof of address.
What is the Acceptance Criteria for Prioritizing Placement?
The size of the school facility may limit the number of out-of-catchment registrations that can be accommodated. The school district will accommodate catchment registrations first, then attempt to accommodate sibling out-of-catchment registrations. Sibling placement cannot be guaranteed, however. Our acceptance criteria are as follows:
- In-catchment area students who, in the previous year, attended the school;
- In-catchment area students who, in the previous year, were placed by the district in a different school due to a lack of space
- Siblings of in-catchment area students (grades 8 to 11);
- New in-catchment area students;
- Siblings of out-of-catchment area students enrolled in the school (grades 8 to 11);
- Out-of-catchment area students currently attending an SD42 school;
- Out-of-district students currently attending an SD42 school;
- Students not currently attending an SD42 school but residing in Maple Ridge or Pitt Meadows;
- Out-of-district non-resident students.
How and when will I be notified of placement?
Parents will be notified by email before Spring Break about their child’s assigned school.
Transfers after the Registration Deadline
Movement between schools after the February 19 deadline requires a transfer process. Transfer forms are available at all secondary schools.
- The ability to transfer will be limited by building space and available staffing. See Student Transfer Guidelines.
- A review of transfer requests will be completed before the Grade 7 orientation date in May. Individual meetings and/or visits will occur after placement.