Please note: If the video shows an error message indicating the number of playbacks has been exceeded, click on the pop-out button in the top right corner of the video and you should be able to view and/or download.
The Grad 2020 virtual video can also be viewed on the following links (no passwords are required):
May 29, 2020
To the parents of the 2020 Grads,
This grad year started strong with an eager team of parents wanting to make this grad year the very best. We had monthly meetings with great attendance and enthusiasm on how to fundraise and make sure the grads had a great day. Our first fundraiser was a bottle drive on February 8, 2020. We had an eager crew out for a long sticky day and through those efforts they raised $3557.10. Way to go grads! Our second fundraiser was in March with “Raise the Funds” frozen food, thanks to Mrs. Ickert for getting that started, we then raised another $600.00. A generous donation of $800.00 was also given from Mrs. Carniel and her employer The Augustine Group. This was where we ended at Spring Break, a second bottle drive was planned for April but unfortunately could not be done.
As a Grad committee we had $5000.00 sitting in an account ready to be spent on the prizes, food etc for dry Grad. As the Pandemic became real and Grad was going to look different, conversations with our teachers, Admin, parents and students began. The ideas of field ceremonies, summer celebrations and even a delay to 2021 were options that were entertained and discussed by the Grad Committee, WSS Administration and staff. With the news changing weekly and time ticking it became very clear that if we waited we wouldn’t be celebrating the 2020 Grads in the year they graduate. Once it became clear that the options were limited, an idea was that all grads would receive a gift to acknowledge them. This gift broke down to a $35.00 value to be given to every Grad. As the student Zoom meetings happened, it allowed our grads to discuss how they saw the money being used. It was here that a graduating student put forth the idea to donate the $5000.00 to a local charity.
This idea was an exciting one that showed how creative and giving our Westview students are. A letter was written to the grads to consider the options of receiving an individual grad gift or a donation to a local charity. This was sent to all Grade 12 students through a google classroom platform. A vote was then sent two days later on what one of the two was going to be followed through on. This was done on a democratic majority. A smaller than hoped number of students voted but what did come back was overwhelming yes to the donation. In the month of June a cheque for $5000.00 will be presented to the Maple Ridge Food bank.
The purpose of this letter is to help our grads and families understand the process behind the decisions that have been made during which has undoubtedly been a disappointing couple of months. We as Grad parents should be very proud of the resiliency and strength of our grads and although there have been a great many disappointments in the past few months, our grads will always be remembered. Not only for the students who did not receive a traditional grad but for the generous and thoughtful act of giving to those who also found themselves in hard times. The grads will be honoured at Westview with a plaque above their grad photo that hangs in the hall for all to see. This will serve as a tribute to the Grads of 2020 and acknowledge what they gave up, but more importantly to honour what they gave.
Michelle Ferguson (Grad Chair)
May 22nd, 2020
Dear 2020 Grads & Families,
While we cannot hold our traditional graduation ceremony this year due to physical distancing constraints of Covid-19, we are working to provide a virtual ceremony to honour a truly amazing graduating class, the Westview Graduates of 2020.
As a school district, our 6 secondary schools have collaborated to provide a virtual graduation experience that is similar in structure but provides schools the ability to maintain school traditions for its graduation ceremony while adhering to health and safety requirements currently in place in B.C.
Below is a timeline of events as well as a list of frequently asked questions. This information will also be posted to our school website as well.
2020 Virtual Graduation Timeline:
June 11th – MR News SD42 Graduation Feature
- Each SD42 secondary school will be featured and all graduating students will be listed as well as school award winners & valedictorians will be highlighted
June 18th & 19th (9:30am-11:30am and 12:30pm – 2:00pm) – Grad Package Pick-up at School
- Information to sign up for a pick-up time will be sent to students through the Grad News Google Classroom
- Pick-up Items:
- Graduation Cap & Gown (for students to keep)
- White V Stole = All 2020 Graduates
- Silver Honour Stole = Honour Roll
- Blue & White Cord = Straight A
- Light Blue Cord = Valedictorians
- Bronze Cord = Governor General’s Award Winner
- Graduation Folio
- Grad 2020 Photo Composite
- Westview Grad 2020 Display Sign
- Yearbook Distribution
June 22nd – Student Pick-up at School
- Remaining items available at Westview for pick-up
June 24th at 7:00pm – Virtual Grad Ceremony LIVE
- Recorded graduation ceremony will be LIVE and viewable on the district Helix (Video) Server
- Students will receive an access link prior to June 24th
- Students will be able to download the virtual ceremony
June 27th – Returns & Pick Ups
- Honour V-Stoles returned
- Straight A, Valedictorian, and Governor General Cords returned
- Awards winners pick-up
- Scholarship winners pick-up
FAQs – FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Will I receive a refund?
- YES – 100% of money students paid for the graduation ceremony & dinner and dance will be refunded.
- The cheques should be in the mail early next week.
- The school is incurring significant costs to host the virtual graduation but we do not want students to have to incur any costs for our virtual graduation ceremony.
Will there be a Valedictorian?
- YES – this year there are 6 students who will speak on behalf of the graduating students.
- In a typical year, valedictorian candidates present to the graduates who select a single or at times a pair of students to serve as the Valedictorian.
- Without the ability to present speeches to all students and have a vote that included all students, all 6 students were asked to present on behalf of the 2020 graduates.
- The criteria to be a Westview Graduation Valedictorian is to be on the Principal’s List during your graduation program years (grades 10-12). The Principal’s List is awarded to students who achieve Straight A’s.
What is going to be done with the money students raised for the Westview Dry Grad?
- The Grad Committee (which is completely parent operated) is surveying students to ask if money raised should be used to provide each graduate a keepsake gift or if money should be donated to a charity or worthy cause as a gift from the grad class.
Now that students are back at school as of June 1st, can we host social distanced grad events to recognize the Grad Class of 2020?
- As directed by our Superintendent, secondary schools in Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows are not planning to have students on campus for filming of grad walks across the stage or for group photos of grads outside.
- It has been determined that management of 125-250 students, even in smaller groups does not conform with the health guidelines provided by the Provincial Health Officer.
- Students who are attending school beginning June 1st, will be managed closely while in the school to ensure physical distancing and to ensure safety protocols are followed.
Will a Dinner/Dance be planned for next school year?
- As directed by our Superintendent, SD42 schools will not be organizing a graduation Dinner & Dance next school year.
- With students out of school, and most likely 19 years old in many cases, hosting an event poses significant supervision challenges for school staff.
Will a Grad Ceremony be planned for next school year?
- At this point, there is too much uncertainty with where we will be as a province regarding Covid-19 to make an accurate assessment of a ceremony for next school year.
I know this is extremely difficult for our graduating students and families. Graduation is an important milestone and achievement in the life of young adults and it saddens our school community as well to not be able to see our graduates walk across the stage. We know our virtual graduation ceremony cannot replace the real ceremony but we hope it honours our graduates and provides families an opportunity to celebrate in a way that is fitting and safe for each graduate and their family.
May 6th, 2020
Grads of 2020
This letter is a follow up to the information you received today from SD 42 Superintendent Sylvia Russell cancelling our grad events this June. Although this news was most likely expected, I recognize how difficult it is to hear. Graduation is such a significant event for students, families and schools – we love seeing you walk across the stage as graduates of Westview.
As a school we are preparing for a virtual graduation ceremony that will be posted and viewable June 24th. Our virtual graduation will include recognition of each graduate, your grad write-up will be read as well as any awards or scholarships you receive. There will be speeches by myself and your valedictorians. We know we can’t replace our grad ceremony but we will endeavour to provide a virtual ceremony that honours our outstanding grads of 2020!
Students will receive a refund for fees paid for graduation.
It is important to continue to engage in your online learning. These courses are required for graduation and the work you do is part of your overall assessment for the year. If you have any questions or need support you can contact our counsellors, Ms. Sharpe & Ms. O’Leary, or any of the school administrative team.
We miss you, your leadership and your energy here at school.
Principal, Westview Secondary
SCHOLARSHIPS – Deadline Friday, April 3rd, 2020
Students, any scholarship applications that have not been submitted already need to be sent digitally to Mr. Kater by 2:00pm on Friday, April 3, 2020. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Kater by e-mail.
Grad Fundraisers – Please Support our Dry Grad Fundraising efforts:
Bottle Drive – return your empties to the Bottle Depot @ 20475 Lougheed Hwy, Maple Ridge (behind Save-On Foods at Westgate). It’s easy! go to the return-it machine, type in the school phone number 604-467-3481, print a label and place one on each bag. No sorting is required!
SD42 Scholarship Booklet:
The SD42 Scholarship Booklet is now available by clicking on the link below. You can also find more information by visiting our Career Centre page.
Please click on the following link to view the first grad newsletter that was distributed at the Grad Assembly on Oct. 8, 2019: Grad 2020 Newsletter #1
Attached to the Newsletter are:
- The Application to Participate in Grad and fee payment – Due Nov. 28, 2019
- Grad Clothing form – Round One orders due Oct. 31, 2019; Round Two orders due Jan. 15, 2020
- Grad Portrait Info – Online signup begins Nov. 1, 2019 to book appointments for Nov. 26, 27 and 28, 2019.